A$AP Mob & Cam’Ron Star in GQ’s “Harlem Reshuffled” Feature
The resurgence of Harlem in culture.
Some of the most influential fashion icons in hip hop are from uptown, and GQ recognizes game. The publication chose to feature both the A$AP Mob and Cam’Ron in their “Harlem Reshuffled” feature, paying homage to both the old school and new school. Like Cam’Ron said in our cover story, his “style is like a 1642 wine.”
Here’s an excerpt from the feature:
Ever since Duke Ellington first tickled the ivories north of 110th Street, Harlem has been one of the liveliest neighborhoods in New York. And now it’s on a whole new creative streak: Artists are setting up shop, restaurants are popping up faster than you can do the Harlem Shake, and bands—hip-hop, jazz, rock—play at more than just the Apollo (which, for the record, is still booking epic shows). Here, our favorite locals suit up and take us on a tour of the new uptown
Check the shots of Cam’Ron and A$AP Mob from the feature below.
Rap Legends Are The New Jazz Giants
Meet: Cam’ron, rapper, and JuJu, Instagram all-star
Their World: He’s been rapping about his hometown hood since his Dipset crew broke big—and his career’s been resurgent since he got with JuJu and started posting their sexed-up antics online.
What You Can Learn From Cam’s Style: A double-breasted suit is still the baller move for date night at a lounge like Ginny’s Supper Club (left) or a bar like 67 Orange Street.
Suit, $3,420 by Brunello Cucinelli
Shirt, $250 by John Varvatos
Tie, $225 by Prada
Her dress by Hervé Léger by Max Azria
Jewelry by David Yurman
The Hood is Still Giving Rise to New Dynasties
Meet: the A$AP Mob: (clockwise from bottom left) A$AP Rocky, Illz, Bari, Yams, Ant, Twelvyy, Nast, and Ferg
Their World: Though the crew are climbing the hip-hop heap, they haven’t forgotten where they’re from. “Harlem has always been known for its swagger and pizzazz,” says Rocky, perched here at the Apollo. “I get my high-end look downtown, but my street style comes from uptown.”
What you can Learn from the A$AP Mob’s Style: When you’re the hottest crew in Harlem, you don’t need a tie.
Clockwise from bottom left:
1. Suit, $2,650 by Balenciaga, hoodie, $178 by Billionaire Boys Club, tank top, $78 by Shades of Grey by Micah Cohen, checkered sneakers by Vans, ring: his own
2. Suit, $2,8353 by Gucci, sweatshirt, $165 by Opening Ceremony, white shirt, $305 by Thom Browne New York, pocket square by The Tie Bar, ring by David Yurman, bracelet: his own.
3. Suit, $425 by Banana Republic, rugby shirt, $178 by Billionaire Boys Club, bright blue high-tops by Del Toro
4. Suit, $585 by DKNY, polo shirt, $645 by Dsquared2, bracelet by David Yurman
5. Suit, $3,495 by Giorgio Armani, tank top, $168 by Mark McNairy New Amsterdam, pocket square by Hav-A-Hank, vintage sunglasses and necklace: his own
6. Suit, $456 by J.Crew, polo shirt, $225 by Fred Perry Laurel Wreath, pocket square by The Tie Bar
7. Suit, $6,600 by Brioni, t-shirt, $955 by Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci, hat by Cervo at JJ Hat Center, necklace and bracelets by David Yurman, red sneakers by Adidas Originals, socks by Falke
8. Suit, $995 by Boss, t-shirt, $92 by Bellerose, hat by Borsalino at JJ Hat Center, pocket square (bandanna) by Kaufman’s Army & Navy, ring and bracelet by David Yurman, necklace: his own