Today’s Fresh Hell: White House Considering Using National Guard To Round Up Immigrants
Is this real life?
Fresh off of yesterday’s absolutely insane press conference President Trump randomly decided to curse the world with, the one that left us all asking “what the fuck just happened?” An AP story just broke that now has us questioning if all this chaos raining down us is even be real life.
From the AP:
The Trump administration is considering a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a draft memo obtained by The Associated Press.
The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana.
The memo was written by U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, and says that governors would be able to dictate if their guard troops would partake in the unprecedented and quite frankly, frightening proposal.
White Press Press Secretary Sean Spicer immediately took to Twitter to deny the report saying “Not true. 100% false.” He also quoted the AP’s Tweet that broke the story stating “This is not true. DHS also confirms it is 100% false.”
This is not true. DHS also confirms it is 100% false https://t.co/MFIJci7XaU
— Sean Spicer (@PressSec) February 17, 2017
The whole denying thing doesn’t quite make sense, though, especially coming from an administration who is seriously lacking in the credibility department. The AP report indicates that they actually attempted to get comment from both the White House and DHS, but no one responded to their request. Which seems odd that you would ignore a story with such large implications only to immediately deny it upon it’s publication.
The denial is also murky because Spicer didn’t specify if the memo itself was real or fake. It seems highly dubious that the AP would publish a story based off a fake document that’s been circulating for a few weeks now.
The AP story states that “The draft document has circulated among DHS staff over the last two weeks. As recently as Friday, staffers in several different offices reported discussions were underway.”
Upon the story’s publication, DHS said that the memo “reported by AP did exist; but they said it was “never seriously considered.”
However, New York Times White House correspondent Maggie Haberman brought up a a very good point on Twitter, saying “These are taxpayer-funded spokespeople. If memo is not under serious consideration, why not say it ahead of time?”
Deporting illegal immigrants was the backbone of Donald Trump’s xenophobic campaign. Just last week, around 680 individuals were rounded up and just yesterday, protests against Trump’s deportation policies took place in cities all of over the country.
Wife's coworker held up on subway in Queens because police were checking for green cards. This is not bullshit. Racial profiling.
— JayShells (@jayshells) February 17, 2017
This is a developing story and we will update this post with relevant information.