As all producers and musicians know, getting new gear can set you back and put some holes in your pocket. That’s why we asked our favorite producers what they’d like the big old bearded man in red to bring them this Christmas. Check out what El-P, Statik Selektah, RJD2 and others have to say about what’s on their studio wish-list. Afterwards, enter to win some gear of your own by entering our Rhythm Roulette Holiday Giveaway.
- The new Macbook Pro… mine has had it, plus I keep hearing about how ill the new processors are.
- A new board for the studio… my Digi 003 has had more liquor in it than me…
- Some OG Yamaha Monitors… The black & white joints… If you get something sounding ill on those, it’ll sound good anywhere!
- Yamaha CS80… It weighs 200 pounds and there are not many available for less than about 8k. It’s the synth the “Blade Runner” score was made on, as well as many other seminal recordings. I’ve used it’s baby brother the Yamaha CS50 on a bunch of songs. IT WILL ONE DAY BE MINE.
- BUSHMASTER Patrolman’s Carbine Cerakote… Not saying I want this, but it would be kind of nice to know it’s there. This shit could shoot a dragon down or kill a yeti, and I’m concerned about both of those things.
- 2013 Range Rover… I can’t help it, I like that shit. Deviates just enough from the classic Range that it’s interesting and current but not enough to be corny. I’ll probably get a Prius.
- Rocktron Banshee Talkbox… I need this talkbox in my studio so “I can make you dance if you want me to” just like Roger Troutman. People don’t know but I have been dabbling in funk my whole beat-making career so this would be a fun addition to my studio. RIP Roger!
- TR 808… Yes I have plenty of 808 kits that I can load up in my MPC, but I don’t have the actual machine I can turn and point at to show off how OG I am. I want to feel that feeling of being like “thats my Roland TR 808 bitch! ” But I do own a Roland CR-8000, the numbers are close but the 808 came out later. But the CR-8000 was my father’s (RIP) and I wouldn’t trade it for any drum machine in the world.
- Madonna’s ‘Erotica’ 12-inch 1992 picture disc… After I jam out to this while cleaning my house I want this record so I can sell it on Ebay for $2,000 and then buy myself 2,000 $.99 records at the Salvation Army.
- Moog 901 VCO… This module occupies a strange place — it’s one of the most widely heard pieces of synthesizer history (basically every synth passage pre-1970), and yet, it’s rare as hen’s teeth. The original Moog modular pieces are insanely expensive now; I’d LOVE to have one of these.
- Mellotron… The only keyboard-based instrument from the soul/rock/funk pantheon I never looked for, mostly ’cause I just can’t justify the price point. If this were on Bill Gates’ dime, then fuck it, I’ll take one with all the banks.
RCA BA-6A… Heavyweight single channel tube compressor. Used on a lot of records, expensive, and hard to come by.
- Custom built live room… for my studio, with all brand new instruments.
- My own personal record collector… someone who could hunt down vinyl for me & keep my record collection organized.
- An SP-1200… just because I’ve never had one or got around to buying one.
- MPC 3000… I miss my baby. Sold it to Karriem Riggins in 1998. He’s definitely been putting her to work. My 2000xl is currently under the weather and I may just cop another 3 unless Santa falls through with one. I don’t care what anyone says the 3000 is by far the best of all the incarnations of the MP. I’m all hardware, no software. Sticking to tradition.
- A studio space… I’ve never had a spot outside of the crib to work. Now that I have a family, my output has definitely slowed. Since I’m a very solitary producer, in that I like to work alone in private when I am creating, and with 2 kids under 5 that shit ain’t happening at the crib. Time to make that shit happen.
- Com Brio ADS 200… Crazy ass synth from 1980. Only 2 were made. Only one was sold. Find me that other one. And tell the guy in the red suit to bring that shit.
- Honorable mention: Rane 68… I ain’t paying 3 grand for a fucking mixer. Bring that shit through Santa.