NY Times Writer Eats Weed And Freaks Out
We've all been there.
I’m pretty well-versed in marijuana. I can roll a joint, decipher between strains, and I’ve experimented with my fair share of hash. Having said that, I am strongly anti-edibles. Every edible I’ve tried has either left me with my head in the toilet, or knocked me out cold after just an hour. So, if a 23-year-old weed smoker like myself consistently avoids pot-infused treats, why would a 62-year-old mother willingly eat over half of a marijuana candy bar?
“I figured if I was reporting on the social revolution rocking Colorado in January, the giddy culmination of pot Prohibition, I should try a taste of legal, edible pot from a local shop.” Those are the words of Maureen Dowd, well-known Op-Ed Columnist for the New York Times. The Pulitzer Prize-Winning journalist is famous for more than her hard-hitting writing. Upon seeing the article, one of her regular readers might think, “What is the point of this?” Well, soon after, Maureen’s faithful found out.
We’ve all had a bad experience or two with marijuana, but Ms. Dowd literally went insane. Describing the experience, she says, “I became convinced that I had died and no one was telling me.” Really? That is one heavy weed muffin. She continues, “I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours.” Eight hours? Are you sure that was a weed chocolate and not an Ayahuasca chocolate? Damn, girl, that’s nuts!
“I was panting and paranoid, sure that when the room-service waiter knocked and I didn’t answer, he’d call the police and have me arrested for being unable to handle my candy.” Okay… we get the point, and many news sites praised her for it. It would be wise to put more instructions on the label. But truthfully, the legalization process is just beginning. Prohibition of Alcohol ended in 1933, but The Alcohol Beverage Labeling Act was only made official in 1988. Simmer down, y’all.
Moral of the story: if you’re a noted writer for the New York Times, or generally an edibles novice, be sure to triple check the dose before you go all in. No one wants to mess with their brain on this level, much less report about it for a global audience that is rolling their eyes at this next level tale of edible insanity.