I first met Meyhem Lauren on Jamaica Avenue in Queens, NY, while I was shopping for sneakers. Actually it was on the Colosseum mall strip 164th Street. We began building on some Polo Ralph Lauren shit and plotting some deals since we were both big dudes. 3X+ ‘Lo heads gotta stick together. That was over five years ago and I’m still in the 3X range but Meyhem Lauren has slimmed down to looking like a heavyweight boxer, or better yet, a professional linebacker. I still find it hard to believe Meyhem Lauren is a rapper.
Meyhem Lauren doesn’t OD with hubris in his raps. He’s clearly a student of the boom bap rap school which keeps both feet on the ground and both eyes open, checking for D’s undoubtedly. The cautionary humble tales of the street are what the game’s been missing. Everyone isn’t flying on private jets after all. If Sean Price has shown me anything its that there is space for an artist who might have to stick you up after the show. I wouldn’t exactly put that label on Meyhem Lauren, but I definitely wouldn’t put it past him.
On a recent trip with Meyhem to the recording studio I had a chance to preview his latest project on the Mishka imprint, Mandatory Brunch Meetings. Fresh on the heels of his late summer EP Respect The Fly Shit on the same label, produced entirely by Harry Fraud and Tommy Mas we get this full-length album. Where RTFS had a raw energy—and well, mayhem–this latest project features Meyhem’s fully contemplated lyrical ability. Respect The Fly Shit was a shotgun blast. Mandatory Brunch Meetings is an open heart surgery performed with a Rambo knife. The opening track produced by ATG has the drums and horns to let you know its time to listen up. Meyhem Lauren gives some of the hardest rhymes your ear holes will hear in 2012. Meyhem Lauren’s Mandatory Brunch Meetings goes HARD.
The majority of tracks on Mandatory Brunch Meetings were produced by the unheralded ATG. He provided a diverse soundbed to allow Meyhem to display his entire skillset. Harry Fraud music is on this album too. You can listen to “10 Dollar Lap Dances” above. Mike Finito from the Das Racist Greedhead godhead puts in a few tracks and the omnipresent savior of boom bap rap,The Alchemist, has one of my favorite beats on this tape. The usual Meyhem Lauren suspects appear throughout like the charismatic Action Bronson and the enigmatic AG Da Coroner. Maffew Ragazino features as well as Heems and Lakutis from Das Racist just to show that Meyhem Lauren even has a weirdo rap chamber. Who is this GabbIE Giftsz chick? She can rap.
Meyhem Lauren is part of a boom bap rap renaissance with the epicenter being somewhere near where the Grand Central Parkway and the Long Island Expressway intersect. There could be something special in the water in Queens so make sure you ask for the tap water when you go to this brunch meeting. Your attendance is mandatory.
Mandatory Brunch Meetings will be released on Dec. 6 via Mishka and Greedhead Records
MEYHEM LAUREN – MANDATORY BRUNCH MEETINGS TRACK LIST
1) MANDATED PARTICIPANTS PRODUCED BY ATG
2) 10 DOLLAR LAP DANCES PRODUCED BY HARRY FRAUD
3) GET THAT MONEY BLACK PRODUCED BY DJ TWO STACKS & NOVA
4) KELLY KAPOWSKI PRODUCED BY ATG
5) THOUSAND DOLLAR GYM SHOES FEAT. ACTION BRONSON PRODUCED BY TOMMY MAS
6) SILK AND LEATHER RAP FEAT. GABBIE GIFTSZ PRODUCED BY ATG
7) CEDAR PLANK SALMON PRODUCED BY DJ UNEEK
8) BEAUTIFUL AREOLAS PRODUCED BY J-LOVE
9) BRAND NAME MARIJUANA PRODUCED BY ALCHEMIST
10 )PERSIAN RUGBY’S PRODUCED BY MIKE FINITO
11) STEWED RABO FEAT. ACTION BRONSON & AG DA CORONER PRODUCED BY TOMMY MAS
12) BURGUNDY GUESS JEANS PRODUCED BY ATG
13) SECRET ANGLE PRODUCED BY FALSIDE
14) BROOKLYN QUEENS DAY FEAT. MAFFEW RAGAZINO PRODUCED BY ATG
15) CARVEL FEAT. HEEMS, LAKUTIS, & NESS PRODUCED BY MIKE FINITO
16) GUNS IN THE PLAYPEN FEAT. GABBIE GIFTSZ PRODUCED BY ICEROCKS
17) FDR MUSIC FEAT CARRIE WILDS AND HOLOGRAM PRODUCED BY ATG
If you’re in NY see Meyhem perform “$10 Lap Dances” at Harry Fraud’s Scion A/V tonight