Some of the most influential fashion icons in hip hop are from uptown, and GQ recognizes game. The publication chose to feature both the A$AP Mob and Cam’Ron in their “Harlem Reshuffled” feature, paying homage to both the old school and new school. Like Cam’Ron said in our cover story, his “style is like a 1642 wine.”
Here’s an excerpt from the feature:
Ever since Duke Ellington first tickled the ivories north of 110th Street, Harlem has been one of the liveliest neighborhoods in New York. And now it’s on a whole new creative streak: Artists are setting up shop, restaurants are popping up faster than you can do the Harlem Shake, and bands—hip-hop, jazz, rock—play at more than just the Apollo (which, for the record, is still booking epic shows). Here, our favorite locals suit up and take us on a tour of the new uptown
Check the shots of Cam’Ron and A$AP Mob from the feature below.
Rap Legends Are The New Jazz Giants
Meet: Cam’ron, rapper, and JuJu, Instagram all-star
Their World: He’s been rapping about his hometown hood since his Dipset crew broke big—and his career’s been resurgent since he got with JuJu and started posting their sexed-up antics online.
What You Can Learn From Cam’s Style: A double-breasted suit is still the baller move for date night at a lounge like Ginny’s Supper Club (left) or a bar like 67 Orange Street.
Suit, $3,420 by Brunello Cucinelli
Shirt, $250 by John Varvatos
Tie, $225 by Prada
Her dress by Hervé Léger by Max Azria
Jewelry by David Yurman
The Hood is Still Giving Rise to New Dynasties
Meet: the A$AP Mob: (clockwise from bottom left) A$AP Rocky, Illz, Bari, Yams, Ant, Twelvyy, Nast, and Ferg
Their World: Though the crew are climbing the hip-hop heap, they haven’t forgotten where they’re from. “Harlem has always been known for its swagger and pizzazz,” says Rocky, perched here at the Apollo. “I get my high-end look downtown, but my street style comes from uptown.”
What you can Learn from the A$AP Mob’s Style: When you’re the hottest crew in Harlem, you don’t need a tie.
Clockwise from bottom left:
1. Suit, $2,650 by Balenciaga, hoodie, $178 by Billionaire Boys Club, tank top, $78 by Shades of Grey by Micah Cohen, checkered sneakers by Vans, ring: his own
2. Suit, $2,8353 by Gucci, sweatshirt, $165 by Opening Ceremony, white shirt, $305 by Thom Browne New York, pocket square by The Tie Bar, ring by David Yurman, bracelet: his own.
3. Suit, $425 by Banana Republic, rugby shirt, $178 by Billionaire Boys Club, bright blue high-tops by Del Toro
4. Suit, $585 by DKNY, polo shirt, $645 by Dsquared2, bracelet by David Yurman
5. Suit, $3,495 by Giorgio Armani, tank top, $168 by Mark McNairy New Amsterdam, pocket square by Hav-A-Hank, vintage sunglasses and necklace: his own
6. Suit, $456 by J.Crew, polo shirt, $225 by Fred Perry Laurel Wreath, pocket square by The Tie Bar
7. Suit, $6,600 by Brioni, t-shirt, $955 by Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci, hat by Cervo at JJ Hat Center, necklace and bracelets by David Yurman, red sneakers by Adidas Originals, socks by Falke
8. Suit, $995 by Boss, t-shirt, $92 by Bellerose, hat by Borsalino at JJ Hat Center, pocket square (bandanna) by Kaufman’s Army & Navy, ring and bracelet by David Yurman, necklace: his own